In Memory of Tom Snyder

" The news was shocking and sad: Tom Snyder died of leukemia at age 71. In the 1970s, when I was going to college, my days always ended with a TV program called "The Tomorrow Show” hosted by very intelligent and charismatic Tom Snyder. There was no videotape at that time so I taped most of his interviews on a tape recorder. I enjoyed his unique and very different style of broadcasting. He soon became my all time hero and a big roll model. Years went by and his show cancelled and he moved to New York to do the news. I never saw or heard about him again until I began the Tiburon Film Festival in 2002. I was told he lived here in town, so I wanted to invite him to our festival until we started getting his kind letters of support.

Earlier this year, in March 2007, I sent him a message that how much I admired and loved to meet him. One day, during this year’s festival, he stopped by the festival office to meet me. He was well informed about the festival but unable to attend due to his illness.

After our meeting, I walked with him to his car not knowing this was going to be the last time I saw him."